11.05.2008

It's a Good Day

It's a good day. We have elected a new President. Yesterday afternoon was tense. I was remembering my last two presidential voting experiences, and how disappointed I was in the outcomes. Last night, I was anxious to get home and turn on the news although it really provided little relief. And honestly, I don't like listening to all the commentators. I don't like hearing their speculation, their drama, their whatever. They're trying to get ratings. I get that it's the business they're in, but it doesn't nothing but cause me anxiety. So we turned it off for a while, played video games and watched the kittens bounce around. When we turned it back on, as we were watching, they started calling more states, bigger states. States that meant McCain probably didn't have a chance. But I was still skeptical. What if they're wrong? How can they call a state when there's only 9% of precincts reporting? I guess statistically they can assume. But people have been wrong before.

And then I looked at the tv, and it said, on the bottom, "Breaking News. Barack Obama elected." Or some variation thereof. I honestly didn't believe it. I kept thinking, aren't they making assumptions pretty quickly? The polls on the west coast had just closed minutes earlier. I was afraid to believe it. And even after I watched his speech (or the beginnings of it, anyway), I wasn't going to get my hopes up until I woke up this morning, and saw that it had lasted, that it was true, without a doubt.

And so it is. I am excited about this new chapter, and anxious for him to get into office. I am not so naive as to think he will snap his fingers and all of our problems will be solved. But I am hopeful enough to believe that he will make a difference. That he will inspire a nation, and even the world. That he will restore confidence in the American people, and in the global community in which we all live.

Hope is a wonderful thing.

No comments: