11.17.2008

Identity Crisis?

Spike thinks he's a parrot. When I'm sitting on the sofa watching tv, he like to snuggle up on my shoulder. I figure it's warm there, in the crook of my neck, so ok, it makes sense. And it's sweet, and I imagine as he grows, god-willing, he won't fit there so nicely. But it's become an obsession of his, I think. He HAS to be on that shoulder. Either one will do, but he prefers the left. Last night, because it's always such a fight to get him off, I decided to get up and see if he would get the hint. He didn't. He perched on my shoulder and just sat there as I walked across the room. I was poised to catch him if he should decide to jump (as it seems like quite a leap from my shoulder to the ground for a young kitten), but he never did. He seemed rather content, actually. He wasn't clawing me, making noise or showing any other signs of distress. He just sat there purring. I'm not sure how I feel about this new trait. I mean, again, it's sweet that he wants to go with me wherever I go, riding on my shoulder with a 5 foot view of the world. But it's kind of weird I think. I wonder if he'll start talking?

Aside from that, I'm afraid his illness is getting worse. Yesterday he barely opened his left eye, and now the right one seems to be following suit. He's been on amoxicillin since Thursday, and he's only minorly (if that) better sneezing/coughing/congestion wise. It's all very frustrating. While I'm pretty sure it will all clear up eventually, I hate having to look at his poor pathetic face and have nothing to do for him. I hate that he's miserable, and I hate that he doesn't seem to be getting better. I'm worried about both of them, and while Shelby seems to be going down a similar path, he's not worsening at the rate Spike has. Anyway, I have a call in to the vet, who wants to adjust their meds before I bring them in again. Here's hoping it will do the trick.

No comments: