11.04.2008

A Day of Hope.

Today, I am hopeful. Today, I hope that I am a part of making history. Today, I hope that we, as Americans, will make the right choice. Today, I hope that instead of feeling angry and disillusioned, I will be excited about a new chapter in our political history.

To me, this isn't just another election. I think many people feel the same way. Voting is something that I think many people take for granted. It's something handed to us, and regardless of what they teach us in government class in high school, we (or at least my generation) don't really understand what a privilege it is. But I am not going to lecture, because I've been there. But today, voting in this election, as an adult (measured by practical standards, not by age), I am excited to vote for the person (Obama! duh) who represents things that mean something to me, that affect me, that will ensure for me a better future, as well as one for my children.

Of course we have no way of knowing what will REALLY happen. I doubt that all of those people who voted for Bush 8 years ago could foresee this mess. But I trust that if nothing else, Obama will give us a fresh start, will be a beacon of hope for America and for the world. Maybe he doesn't have a lot of "experience" but maybe that isn't a horrible thing. Maybe it's a refreshing thing. Experience doesn't mean you make good decisions. And it doesn't mean you're smart. And it doesn't mean you have the best interests of everyone at heart.

So. I'm anxiously awaiting lunch time, so that I can cast my vote. Judging by the absence of many people at work, I'm guessing the lines are long, and this pleases me. Sure, it's a pain in the ass to wait in line forever with nothing to do, but it means people care. And that, perhaps, is the most important thing.

In my house, we cannot merely say "vote." Every time I say that I'm going to vote, or ask Jack about voting, he looks at me sideways and says, "You mean you're going to Barack the Vote."

So people, let's Barack the Vote!

No comments: