11.25.2008

FYI, I've had coffee this morning.


So, in talking to Jack last night regarding Christmas presents, we decided to do minimal gift giving to each other, with the idea that if we get some cash for Christmas (which we're hoping for, not because we're greedy, but really, we don't need anything little; not clothes, not crap to set around the house, etc.) we might be able to pool that, and take some from ourselves and get a new TV for the Mantuary. I am very excited about this plan.

This plan has led me to thinking about the set up of our house, our TV habits, and how freaking ugly the TV is in our living room. It's huge and basically unmovable. Chances are it won't survive any attempts at moving it. It came with the house so it's sort of like a bonus, and I don't really care if it implodes and turns into dust. At least then I could sweep it out the front door easily enough. I'm not opposed to TV in the living room. I was raised in a house where there was no tv in the living room, and that was fine. I think it probably helped to create some family bonding time that maybe we wouldn't have had if we had different places to watch it. No tv in our bedrooms, none in the living room. Just my parents' bedroom and the basement. Sure, it was annoying sometimes, and occassionally there were issues over what we would actually watch, but all in all, it was better.

Not to mention the fact that I think the television is sucking my brain out. When I come home and want to relax, when I'm bored, or lonely, I turn on the TV in that living room, and let it turn me into an idiot. In all reality I'd rather read a book than watch tv, but it's like some kind of mind control device beckoning me.

The drawbacks to ditching the TV in there are that sometimes Jack wants to play video games that I don't want to watch. Sometimes he wants to watch a movie, or be left alone. This will, in effect, banish me to the bedroom if there is something on that I really do want to watch. But really, there are so few things I really want to watch. The things I want to watch Jack also wants to watch.

It's a tough call, I think, because if I get rid of the TV in the living room, and there IS something I want to watch that Jack definitely does NOT want to watch, my bargaining power will be lessened. He'd probably concede, but I'd be invading his mantuary, and I don't really want to do that. This is just the tv tricking me. It is unnecessary. We are two people in a house with not THAT many rooms, 4 tvs, 4 cable hook ups, and a cable bill that is 150 bucks a month (ok, that includes phone and internet, but still, up to $100 of that is for the tvs). Stupid. Gluttonous. Not to mention that the tv in the guest room is a total waste, as we never have guests. And they could do without tv regardless.

Ok. I'm talking myself in circles, and I'm pretty sure it's because tv has gotten me all hooked like drugs would. But really, I can watch many shows on the computer. I can prop myself up in the bedroom and watch something if I really want to (and can't access the tv downstairs for whatever reason), and I can spend all that wasted time doing something else like reading, or cleaning, or hey, studying, since that is in my near future.



I'm going to talk it over with Jack and see what his thoughts are. I'm starting to really like this idea.

No comments: