12.22.2008

No Bows This Year.

Something you may or may not know about me is that I find joy, and perhaps even take pride in, wrapping presents.  Especially Christmas presents.  I like to find the right paper.  Something at least somewhat elegant and sophisticated (like, not polar bears wrapped in scarves skiing while holding presents and grinning like idiots), and I like to use bows and ribbons to make them look unique.  Or at least nice.  How unique can it really be.  It often involves a theme and purposefully chosen colors (this year it is silver and red).  I even like the gift tags to match although in the interest of saving a few dollars this year, I got the crappy stick on tags.  But whatever.

The point is that tonight I began adding ribbons and bows to the recently wrapped presents under the tree.  I knew that perhaps this would not work so well, what with having young, curious kittens around, but I did it anyway.  And it was short lived.  The damage isn't too severe, yet.  But as I was sitting here watching tv, Spike no so carefully approached a gift.  It had a simple red stick on bow on it.  He bit it lightly.  I looked at him and said, "NO!" in a firm voice.  Cats though, are not like dogs and so he just turned to look at me, as if it was a dare, turned back to the box, grabbed the bow, and plucked it right off the box.  He carried perhaps 6 inches a way and proceeded to dismantle it.

He has abandoned it already, and is participating in some "matrix shit," as Jack likes to say, with his brother.

In the interest of housework, and time, and my box of bows and ribbons I just bought for 9.99, there will be no bows this year.

No comments: