12.01.2008

Cookie Failure.

Luckily, my ability to be a good wife, friend, daughter, employee, etc., is not measured by my baking skills. Saturday, I was messing around the house, and I decided it was time to start the holiday baking. I thought I'd start with standard chocolate chip as these are pretty straight forward, everyone likes them, and they are hard to mess up.

Well.

I messed up. I'm not exactly sure where I went wrong, though I have my theories. The strongest of which is that my dark pan called for a lower temperature. I didn't realize this until I made about 60 cookies in all. Almost all ruined. Flat little things with super crispy edges. Really, I hear they taste just fine, but they look AWFUL. I should have taken a picture but it's too embarrassing, and I didn't feel like expending any more effort on the horrible cookies. I had visions of plump fluffy cookies sitting on a nice platter on my dining room table. Instead, I have 60 cookies shoved into a Ziploc sitting on the counter out of site, but still accessible by Jack (who has no qualms about eating them). I guess if I had half of a brain, before loading up the cookie sheets 4 or 6 times, I would have done some experimenting, but I did not. See, sometimes I get stubborn, and try to force things.

So, after I ruined those, I moved on to snicker doodles. Easy to prepare, pretty straight forward. They turned into flat rocks. I can barely bite into them. Again with the oven temperature, probably. My father says they'd be good in coffee. I'm thinking they'll be good in the trash.

Not all hope is lost though. I made gingerbread cookies yesterday (although the dough was pre-made) and I put them on a lower temperature, and they turned out just lovely. So, I guess there's the possibility that I suck at cookie dough? Or maybe my flour is bad or something? I'm going to try the chocolate chip cookies again, this time with the lower temperature, and see how we fare.

Until then, everyone will be able to enjoy the experience of my burnt cookies and broken teeth!

1 comment:

the baron said...

the baron is still waiting for those russian tea cookies - don't think she forgot!!